CULTURAL AWARENESS TRAINING FOR BUSINESS
OUR ROLE AT KADOO CULTURAL AWARENESS TRAINING IS TO HELP BUILD AWARENESS, RESPECT & UNDERSTANDING WITH ABORIGINAL & TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER PEOPLE WITHIN THE WORKPLACE.
WHY IS CULTURAL AWARENESS TRAINING SO IMPORTANT?
Cultural Awareness Training facilitates opportunity to stimulate understanding, appreciation, empathy and tolerance for Aboriginal people and their culture in Australia. This in turn builds a culturally competent workplace.
Our training is delivered by Latoya Brown.
Latoya is a traditional woman and a well-respected member of the La Perouse community. She has an immense knowledge of Aboriginal culture and is an experienced tour guide, Business Manager and Youth Engagement Officer.
Latoya has worked in, and worked with many different Government and NGO throughout her career. She has seen first-hand the challenges Aboriginal employees encounter and the common misconceptions faced by non-Indigenous workers.
At all 'In-house' workshops a special guest will address participants for a time. He/she will be the owner/operator of a large, successfully run indigenous owned company working in this area. One business in particular employs 150 indigenous staff and works in conjunction with many indigenous and non-indigenous owned companies.
Let Latoya share their differing insights with your company and its employees
Kadoo Cultural Awareness Training deliver an ‘On Country’ experience that provides participants with an insight into the traditional lifestyle of the oldest surviving culture on Earth. We couple this with a ‘in-house’ presentation that delivers the skills for management and employees to build a culturally inclusive workspace.
‘ON COUNTRY’ TOPICS & EXPERIENCES – 3 Hours.
- On arrival at La Perouse you will be welcomed to the Country with a traditional smoking & ochre ceremony.
- All will enjoy an indigenous themed High Tea consisting of native jams, native herbal teas and traditional wattle seed dungah (indigenous bread).
- Latoya will convey her people’s ancient connection to ‘Mother Earth’, their conservation practices and fire management methods.
- Your team will learn about native plants, animals and sample an array of bush tucker.
- All will experience a traditional campsite and discover how the indigenous people of coastal Sydney (Eastern Suburbs) survived before and after the arrival of Europeans.
To even begin to understand indigenous people and their culture, one must walk in their footsteps on their sacred land.
‘OFF COUNTRY’ TOPICS – 3 Hours
- We commence the second component with a fully catered lunch. (The menu can vary to the clients tastes)
- About Aboriginal people – how long ago & who are they.
- Coastal Aboriginal people of the Eastern Suburbs.
- Invasion and frontier wars.
- Protection & Control Policies – Early 1800’s.
- The Stolen Generations (1910-1970) and the continued trauma and loss associated.
- The White Australia Policy and the effects on Aboriginal people.
- Australia at War: The role Aboriginal Australians played in these conflicts.
- Family’s role and responsibilities within Aboriginal culture.
- Modern day challenges and where do Indigenous people go from here.
- Connecting with Indigenous people.
- Building relationships with your Indigenous workforce and clientele.
NB: This is delivered as a PowerPoint presentation.
Through our Cultural Awareness Training program, Kadoo will work with you to develop a greater understanding of Aboriginal people, their culture, role in society and their history. We endeavour to work with you to:
- Embed the skills in your team to build lasting workplace relationships with indigenous team members and to value their perspectives.
- Empower team members to develop respectful relationships with Indigenous employees and customers.
- Impart knowledge to non-indigenous team members to motivate and engage Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander co-workers and customers.
- Ultimately deliver your team members to a point of Cultural Competence to ensure a successful working environment.
PRICES ON REQUEST. WE OFFER FULL OR HALF DAY TRAINING
Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum 10 – Maximum 25
Please note: Kadoo CAT can be completed over a single day or two half days.
Kamay Botany Bay National Park - La Perouse
Premises of participating Company
La Perouse Museum or Prince Henry Centre (an extra hire fee will apply)
Kadoo Tours have been operating for 6 years offering indigenous & historical tours and experiences in La Perouse and Watsons Bay. Over that period, we have educated thousands of students, tourists and business groups about our indigenous history and culture.
Kadoo Cultural Awareness Training are fully insured and holders of an Ecopass for Kamay Botany Bay & Sydney Harbour National Park. Our facilitators are trained in First Aid and a risk assessment is available on our website.